White plantation shutters have been a classic in homes across the United States for years. These window treatments are prized for their energy efficiency, light control and clean lines that flatter many different home styles. Plus, white goes with everything, even as décor trends come and go over the years.
With white window treatments, it’s natural to be concerned that the sun could discolor them. This is especially true if your home gets a lot of intense sunlight or faces south. It’s important to know that not all window treatments are created the same. And that some plantation shutters are more susceptible to yellowing than others. Here’s why.
Why Plantation Shutters Turn Yellow
The sun’s ultraviolet rays are responsible for giving you painful sunburns. They’re also responsible for discoloring your white plantation shutters, especially if you have cheaper or overseas-made shutters. These damaging rays can eat away at protective coating over time. Once the coating is gone, the sun can damage the paint and cause it to turn yellow.
Regular cleaning will help keep your shutters looking their best. But once they start turning yellow, there isn’t much you can do to fix it. The best way to prevent your shutters from yellowing is to invest in high-quality ones that are custom made for your home.
Why Cheap Plantation Shutters Are More Susceptible to Yellowing and Other Issues
Like most other things you buy for your home, you get what you pay for when it comes to window treatments. Here’s why cheap or off-the-shelf plantation shutters aren’t as good of a deal as they initially appear to be.
- They may not fit your windows very well. For peak energy efficiency and light control, plantation shutters must fit tightly against the window frame. Ready-made plantation shutters are often not a good fit, and your efficiency and light management may suffer as a result.
- They’re made from lower-quality materials. Cheaper plantation shutters are made from low-quality materials, including vinyl and composite, and are often hollow. In addition to yellowing, they may also be more susceptible to warping, cracking or chipping.
- They’re finished with low-quality paint. Lower-quality paint often contains volatile organic compounds, or VOCs. These chemicals can be emitted by your shutters over time, causing headaches and eye and nasal irritation in some people. It’s also important to know that paint that’s poor quality may not include a protective UV coating, which could speed up the yellowing process.
- They’re made overseas. You never know what kind of quality you will get with plantation shutters that are made overseas. They tend to be lower quality than ones that are made in America.
- They may need frequent maintenance. Cheaply made plantation shutters often need frequent maintenance if staples come loose or louvers begin to sag. In some instances, you may not be able to fix sagging louvers if your shutters don’t have tension screws.
- They don’t come with a warranty.
Louver Shop Plantation Shutters Are Guaranteed Against Yellowing and Other Problems
At Louver Shop, we’ve been building our company on quality plantation shutters for some time. Here’s why investing in our shutters is a smart decision for your home.
- Our plantation shutters are customized for your home. No two homes or windows are the same, and your window treatments should reflect that. We begin our process with a free, in-home consultation so you can see all your options up close. From material to louver size and frame style, you’ll be able to fully customize your plantation shutters. And thanks to our free professional measurements and free standard installation, you’re guaranteed to get a great fit with your new shutters.
- Our plantation shutters are made from premium materials. Whether you choose our polymer LouverWood® shutters for top energy efficiency or Heritage shutters for the most classic look, you’re getting window treatments made from premium materials. We use an exclusive polymer and furniture-grade hardwoods in our shutters that not only look good but perform for years.
- Our plantation shutters are finished with exclusive paints. Louver Shop plantation shutters are finished with proprietary water-based paints. These paints are safer for your family since they’re nontoxic and low in VOCs. They’re also guaranteed against fading and yellowing.
- Our plantation shutters are made in the USA. We manufacture your custom shutters at our plant , Georgia. Not only are they higher quality, this means you’ll also get them much sooner, typically within a few weeks.
- Our plantation shutters are low maintenance. Our shutters are easy to clean and won’t need to be tightened.
- Our plantation shutters are backed by one of the best limited warranties. Louver Shop plantation shutters are guaranteed against some of the most common issues, including yellow, fading, cracking, peeling, sagging and warping. They also come with a lifetime limited warranty on moving parts, workmanship and the painted finish.
Start Designing Your Custom Plantation Shutters with Louver Shop Today
Plantation shutters are an investment in your home. Choosing the right ones means you’ll enjoy beautiful shutters for years with worry-free performance. With your vision and our expertise, you’re sure to create window treatments that you love. Begin elevating your home with Louver Shop by requesting your free, in-home consultation today! Call us at 888-249-5655 to schedule your appointment now.